How to Fix Sewing Machine at Home
Each sewing machine has some problems periodically: bunching thread, breaking needles or skipping stitches and other. Learn how to fix sewing machine at home by himself using these free tips.
Why does the upper thread breaks
1. First thing you need to do - to check that the upper thread is installed correctly.
2. Upper thread is tangled on the spool pin or on threads guides.
3. The simplest reason is - upper thread tension is too tight.
4. If you will be use big cone coil you must ensure the correct threading. The thread with cone coils can fall down and tangle. Don't use big cone coils for threading home sewing machines. Use them for threading your serger only.
5. The sewing needle should be sharp always. If the needle is bent or not sharp the upper thread will be breaks.
6. The combination of needle size, thickness of fabric and thread is selected incorrectly.
How to fix the bobbin thread breaking
1. Lower (bobbin) thread is tangled into bobbin case or on shuttle hook.
2. Make sure the bobbin case is installed into hooke device correctly. During installation a bobbin case, a click should be heard. 3. Lower thread tension is too tight. Don use thick size thread for winding the bobbin. The size of bobbin thread wil be thinner (or same) than needle thread.
4. Lower threading is not correct.
What to do if your sewing machine is skipping stitches
1. Needle is incorrectly inserted. This often occurs in old sewing machines like Singer. If you do not know how to properly install the needle using this rule: The tip of shuttle hook should pass along the side where is the scarf of needle.
2. Damaged or worn sewing needle can cause the skipped stitches.
3. The combination of needle size, thickness of fabric and thread is selected incorrectly.
4. Lint and dirt is accumulated under the needle plate that can cause the skipped stitches also. Remove away the needle plate and clean the shuttle hook device.
5. Threading is not correct.
6. The tip of hook must pass above (1 mm) the eyelet of needle and near (0.1 - 0.15 mm) to the surface of scarf a needle. Remove away the needle plate and using the magnifier check these parameters.
The thread is bunching under the fabric (loop in seam)
1. The bobbin thread is not wound correctly. Don't wind the bobbin by hand. Uneven tightening of the bobbin thread can cause bunching under the fabric (loop in the seam).
2. Check how to work the thread tension device. Lint and dirt can be accumulate betwen the tension discs and prevent normal pressing of the upper thread.
3. Top and bobbin thread tension is incorrect. Every time you start a new project, you need to adjust the thread tension again. Lower thread is not recommended to regulate, except for cases of sewing very thin lightweight fabrics, like chiffon fabric.
Fabric puckers while sewing on sewing machine
1. If the thread tension is too the fabric during sewing will be tightened, as shown.
2. The pressing the fabric to the feed dogs need to adjust depending on the kind fabrics. Too strong pressure on thin and lightweight fabrics leads to fabric puckers.
3. The height of the raising of the feed dogs teeth does not correspond to the thickness of the selected fabric.
4. The combination of needle size, thickness of fabric and thread is selected incorrectly.
5. Treading is not correct.
During sewing fabric doesn't feed properly
1. The pressing the fabric to the feed dogs need to adjust depending on the kind fabrics.
2. The height of the raising of the feed dogs teeth does not correspond to the thickness of the selected fabric.
3. Surface of the sole of the presser foot is worn.
4. Thread is tangled.
5. The teeth of feed dogs are lower the surface of needle plate. The darning plate is installed.
6. Sewing thick fabrics and materials not intended for sewing on this model sewing machine. Sewing with leather, sewing of natural fur,sewing from jeans fabrics, etc.
Sewing machine is breaking or bending needles
1. Do not pull the fabric with your hand while sewing. If sewing machine does not feed properly the fabric you need to adjust pressing.
2. The needle is bent. The bent needle will fall into the metal surface of the needle plate and breaks. Be careful, pieces of needle can scatter in different directions. 3. The combination of needle size, thickness of fabric and thread is selected incorrectly.
4. Do not use needles that are designed for industrial sewing machines (with round shank).
5. Needle is incorrectly inserted.
Why is the sewing machine is noisy or slow?
1. Blunt tip of the needle does not pierce the fabric, but breaks it. This damages the fibers of the fabric and creates additional noise.
2. Insufficient oiling. Regularly lubricate and clean your sewing machine.
3. The drive belt is too tighten.
4. The sewing motor is worn out and needs replacement.
Sewing machine does not start (not turn on)
1. Power supply plug is removed from outlet.
2. Main power switch is turned off.
3. Foot control pedal works not correctly or it is damaged. 4. The bobbin winding shaft is moved towards the bobbin presser.
5. The drive belt is broken.
6. The sewing lectric motor is damaged, its repair or replacement is required.
English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes and help correct them.
E-mail for sending is on the contact page.
Related Tutorials and Tips:
How a Sewing Machine Works
Learn how works a sewing machine. These knowledges can help you fix it in many cases yourself. Here is description of home model zigzag sewing machine.
Tips for Using your Sewing Machine
If you need to learn tips from tailor read this post. Here you find top tips and tricks how to use your sewing machine.
Vertical Rotary Shuttle Hook System
Sewing machines middle and upper class have a rotary vertical or horizontal hook system. Here you can read how works vertical rotary hook and tips for repair.
Tips for Choosing a Sewing Machine
How to choose your first sewing machine. A few key features of sewing machines you need to know necessarily.
How to Thread a Sewing Machine
This is the universal tutorial for threading any sewing machines and winding a bobbin.
How to Use a Twin or Double Needle
Here's tutorial for how to use a twin or double needle. Using the double needle you can sew knit jersey fabric and some other decorative stitches.
How to Use an Overlock Sewing Machine
What a kind of stitch can do an overlock Janome 4057? Learn how to use modern model a serger and tips for choosing overlock sewing machine.
How To Use Computerized Sewing Machine
If you will buy a computerized sewing machine you get many sewing advantages. Here you will learn what features have the modern models of sewing machines.